Son addicted to oxycodone/other opiods

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      worried48
      Participant

Worried about child taking opiods and similar.

bt1978
      Participant

Hey worried. I am a recovering addict, I used codeine, Morphine, Oxy. Been off that for a while now thankfully and recovering ever since. I can try to give you some perspective or answer questions if that helps

worried48
      Participant

Hi BT. Yes thank you any pointers would be helpful. Glad to hear you are recovering.

bt1978
      Participant

No worries

Firstly are you in the UK or US? I’ll explain in moment

worried48
      Participant

Uk

bt1978
      Participant

OK thanks.

As you described in your initial post addiction is a progressive illness that gets worse not better, if left untackled.

The drugs you mention he is taking are highly addictive. I know when I was using then I was pretty much out of it and didn’t really know what I was doing half the time even though I thought I did – this stupor I got myself into is likely the reason for most of the things you mentioned in your post.

I see counselling and treatment is mentioned – what is happening with that?

worried48
      Participant

He says he has signed up to a local drugs service and I have seen some correspondance lying around. However he just gives minimal info and refuses to involve us. He does mention that they recommend tapering but are happy for him to get his supply from where ever. I find it hard to believe they would say yeh still get it from your dealer!

bt1978
      Participant

Hmmmm

Smoke and mirrors

The GP needs to be consulted here really if for nothing more than safeguarding getting more through them.

I’m not sure about drug services and their advice to be honest, I do feel that tapering and supervision is the safest way.

It’s clear though there is more to this as you are get timing limited information from him

worried48
      Participant

I guess its a long road ahead. Can hardly have a conversation with him these days and just stays in room most of the day (off sick from work). Can I ask you about strange eating habits? ones which weren’t there before ie lots and lots of sugary sweet stuff and junk foods. Not eating proper meals regulary. But I guess if you are having lots of nap time you miss meal times. I feel our relationship is broken. He has pushed everybody away family and friends but he maintains its everybody elses issue.

bt1978
      Participant

Sugar is addictive like any other substance. It produces a high. Could also be the bodies way of craving some energy which the drugs deplete when they are abused. I have had Insomnia ost of my life and the drugs were a way of sorting that out too

Your son is still there. In between you and him is this rotten addiction.

worried48
      Participant

We just want him to involve us so we can support him.

Thank you for those kind words.

bt1978
      Participant

I probably said this before but is there any way at all you can try getting through to him on some level?

worried48
      Participant

We have tried everything. He has pushed me as far as telling him to leave just before the start of lockdown. He was on full pay at this time. I offered to help him find somewhere and wouldnt expect him to live in a dodgy place and I would support him with shopping cleaning etc. However everywhere was shut and obviously it didnt happen. Now we are just going around in circles.

icarus-trust
      Participant

Hi,

Thanks for posting and glad you are getting advice about your child’s addiction from this site.

If you would like some support for yourself please contact us at The Icarus Trust. We are a charity offering support to people who are coping with the addiction of a family member. We have trained and very experienced people who you could talk with if you feel it would be helpful.

You can contact Icarus Trust on help@icarustrust.org or visit our website http://www.icarustrst.org

All the best.

worried48
      Participant

Many thanks. I may be in touch. ????

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
DONATE