Son”s addiction / mental health

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      jetster9
      Participant

Hi, I have been on here before, felt I needed to go again. Trying to get help for sons addiction to heroin. He has been referred to the wdp, a London drugs project. However, he said he had seen their doctor, and he discussed with him, about taking a heroin substitute. He told us that the doctor said he didn’t need it, as he wasnt using heroin. When we went to see him yesterday, his house was in a terrible state, and it was obvious he is taking it again. He says that the heroin takes all the pain away, and helps him to sleep. Underneath all this he is depressed, and it breaks my heart to see my lovely boy in this state, and not know how to help him.

bt1978
      Participant

Hi Jetster

Thanks for posting, its brave of you.

Addiction to anything is horrible, not just for the addicts but families of the addict too.

Trying to get off Heroine or any Opiate once hooked is a very daunting prospect. Not only have you got to go through withdrawals which are horrendous and can last weeks, you then have to face up to the things you were self medicating for – in his instance depression and sleep.

Its really easy for people on the outside to say just stop taking it, but not so easy to actually do.

Before I say anything else, do you get any inkling that he wants to stop?

There is alot of help out there it’s just knowing where to look and seek it out.

Do you also have people you can talk to?

jetster9
      Participant

Thankyou for replying. My son is supposed to be having a meeting with the doctor, about a heroin substitute which is desperate for. His dad flushed some drugs down the toilet, and he became extremely agitated, we ended up calling the police who visited, and an ambulance as he became aggressive towards my husband. However, he seems calmer today, has eaten something, and we are hoping they will give him the substitute tomorrow.

bt1978
      Participant

Thanks for replying.

That’s a positive start, and given the mature of heroin doctors guidance is well advised.

A substitute will stop the hell of withdrawal and hopefully you can stabilise the situation and then focus on getting some more help, without the worry of that horrible drug.

Keep posting and let us know how you go, if you ever want suggestions on long term recovery give me a shout

jetster9
      Participant

Hi, once again, thanks for replying. Yes, we are seeing the doc today, so here’s hoping we get some answers. Sounds like you have been through it yourself. Cheers.

bt1978
      Participant

Wanted to say good luck, let us all know how it goes?

Stay strong

jetster9
      Participant

Yes, will do, and thanks for your interest and support!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
DONATE