Sons drug addiction how bad does it have to get

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      scraggs
      Participant

My son is 23 and has been addicted to prescription drugs for 6 years now. Recently he started using heroin and cocaine and has landed himself massive debts which I have been paying to keep him alive. He suffers from ptsd fro the last 6 years and we’ve done everything we could possibly do to help him and he seems constantly in self destruct. Our lives are falling apart and we feel like we are too.

Due to his self harm he wouldn’t withstand a beating so I feel railroaded into paying these drug debts, my husband walked away recently, although he came back because I didn’t tell him just how much money I’d given our son.

He has destroyed most jobs I’ve had, I’m a nurse in A&E and he has been in my place of work usually more than me making it impossible to cope in the end. We’re on our knees and have no idea what to do. We don’t want to lose him but fear we’ll be burying him before long.

About 6 weeks ago he called me and told me his hands were very bad so I knew he’d been injecting, as soon as I saw them I rushed him to hospital as his hands were necrotic, almost black and very badly infected. He got treatment after lying to the doctors saying he burnt himself. He lies all the time these days. His hands are still not healed. He’s lucky to have not lost them.

While he was in hospital I went to his flat and I couldn’t speak for at least half the day with the shock and disgust of what I found and subsequently cleaned up. It took me 7 hours to clean his bedroom where it seemed he been actually living for weeks. There were more than 70 used needles, mould covered food, he’d burnt his mattress whilst cooking the drugstuff.. He could have killed himself by burning the flat down… Talk about sick it my stomach.. He had just left them a lying around everywhere so I had the indignity and shame of having to go to the pharmacy to get sharps boxes and pick everyone up and take them back in front of loads of people.

I have no life, I’m scared alll the time, I’m on my break right now as I’m on a night shift at the hospital and even now I’m scared, his body can’t take much more.. What a life I don’t seem to be able to get back any sort of normality for us or myself.. I feel trapped by his addiction..

worriedmum22
      Participant

Hello I am so very sorry you are going through this you must feel so scared. Your son is very very young and has so much life ahead of him. I am

Nearly 30 and even I feel lots of life in me still. It’s very sad he is at this point. I know you have probably already tried this but maybe counciling ? Find out the root cause for his deep rooted desire to do this ? Or maybe he is just genuinely addicted due to the prescription drugs when he was young and now wants harder stuff, I’m no expert just want you try help you as much as possible as your post did upset me. I really hope

Your ok. Does he have friends around him ? What are they like ? Maybe when all

Lockdown is over a little holiday to show him what life’s really about and what he can be doing instead of making him self unwell and you also. Explain to him

How you feel and that this is emotionally draining. I Honestly don’t have the answers as my children are young

And I can’t relate. His ptsd could

Be the root? I don’t know. I’m sorry I couldn’t be much help I’m always here

If you want a listening ear …….

take care X

jetster9
      Participant

Has he tried to get help ? People say the GP is the first call, they could refer him to his nearby drugs and alcohol service. I am staying with my son at the moment, he is 35 in July. He is on a detox for heroin at home. I live 2 hours drive away, so worry when we don’t here from him, and his phone is permanently switched off. I called 111, as he was quite sick, and they called an ambulance. He refused to go to hospital. Doing cold turkey at home is hard. I tried to get him a referral to a local drugs and substance organisation nearby, he refused to speak to them, saying he wasn’t in the mood, I will try again tomorrow. He was asking when I was going home, and I said I wanted to make sure he was ok, he said he’s ok. I feel he’s in denial with his addiction, I am at a loss at what to do.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
DONATE