Spice, am I out of options?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      binloo
      Participant

Hello,

My brother in a law has a massive spice habit, sometimes 70 pounds a day, he is also homeless and has a form of autism.

Due to his autism it is extremely difficult to talk to him about his problems. He is delusional and believes his living on the street and spice addiction are problems he could easily change if he wanted to.

He also suffered both physical and sexual abuse while in the foster care system at a young age.

Due to all these issues he does not trust institutions e.g. rehab centres. It is impossible to get him to self refer and get help.

Does anybody know a way, or have any advice? On getting help for somebody who needs proffesional help but cannot be persuaded to do so due to mental health.

bt1978
      Participant

Hey Bin

Thanks for posting

Wow that’s an awful lot for one person to deal with.

Firstly I feel for your brother. For what it’s worth many addicts are delusional and think they can switch it off and sort It out if they wanted to – I know I did, putting that into practice however yields far different results and I’m yet to find a real addict that can do that with no help or support.

His lack of trust is understandable, the damage of that abuse is far reaching and likely one of the reasons for using though I don’t like to assume. I know that Autism means some degree of rigid thinking, and also knowing your place in the world which is where I think drugs help those suffering (this is my theory only)my little boy has autism and I find that we have to worm using carrot and stick rather than the direct approach, I don’t know if this Would be a method you could try to use here in any way?

Spice is a pretty evil drug and I know that withdrawal looks horrendous. If he gets to the point where he wants to quit then some medical help is going to be needed to be safe.

What he can do is look into NA meetings. It’s free, people there are addicts just like him, there is no authority or commitment needed other than turn up, listen and try to identify. They are all online at the moment so he doesn’t have to face or speak to anyone if he doesn’t want to, do you have a computer or tablet he could use? I’m just thinking that autism comes with social anxiety sometimes and difficulty interacting- being online may help with that

Post back and I’ll try to help with anything I can

binloo
        Participant

Hi,

It’s feels good to talk to someone about this, thank you for such a detailed reply.

He doesn’t have a computer due to him living on the streets, I have discussed N.A. meetings with him but he will not go as he is embarrassed about his appearance.

I can’t remember which type of autism he has but yes basically he can’t process a direct question or request.

Honestly I’ve tried so much; getting him a place to live payed by the council, but he doesnt stay there he sleeps on the streets because he gets more money that way.

Got him to a psychiatrist, he didn’t last 10 minutes, any questions about his past sends him into a rage.

Honestly at this point I believe the only thing which would help him is being locked in a room until he kicks it. He needs sectioning.

bt1978
      Participant

Hey Bin

That’s why I suggested online as he doesn’t have to see anyone, but I get what you mean about not having a computer which is such a shame

I know that sectioning can be traumatic for anyone – that should be a last resort, I can see your thinking though as you don’t have anything else to explore. Does he want to get help?

binloo
      Participant

It’s strange, when he’s high he’s lucid and expresses a desire to sort his life out. He talks about working and getting a place of his own. Unfortunately 15 – 30 minutes later the drugs wear off, he’s back to asking for money and becoming violent when he doesn’t get it

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
DONATE