Telling family about husband’s cocaine addiction

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      flower85
      Participant

Hi,

My husband is a cocaine addict. He was clean for two years but relapsed three months ago due to the pressures of the pandemic. We just got married three weeks ago. I have been aware of if his addiction for a long time and so it is not new information to me. Since his relapse he has been massively suffering with his mental health and has developed really severe anxiety. This is having a large effect on our life and what we are able to do and not do. As part of his recovery he has told his family about his addiction so that they are able to understand better and support him. I made the decision so far to not tell my parents. The reason for this is that they have been facing a lot of adversity themselves and I don’t want to add to their worry but they are also struggling to understand why my husband is the way he is right now, like what his triggers for the anxiety were and also why he does not want to take anxiety medication (he is worried about getting addicted to it). I don’t know what to do for the best. My husband would like them to know as he feels like in order to be himself they need to know this part of him. I am scared of worrying them, hurting them and also of them judging my husband as they might struggle to understand that addiction is an illness and may turn against him. Please can anyone who has been in similar situations give me some advice on how you think I should move forward with this? Thanks for your support.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
DONATE