The Loss of My Son

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      mary2
      Participant

Hi to All ,
      I am wanting to speak of my son who was an Addict .Today I am sad and grieving deeply for a young man who just seemed lost to his addictions
      My son was found dead in a house he was allocated 13 days before by the local council . He was so badly decomposed by the time he was found I could not identify him. The police used his finger prints and tattoos to identify him . he was found Wednesday third of July 10.30am 2009 he was 36 years old
      My son from the age of 9 showed signs of addictions . Started off with the gambling machines , smoking , glue , drink and weed, and he stole to keep his habits going mainly from myself . His dad was a violent alcoholic and often beat me up even when I was pregnant with our son , eventually we separated and I got divorced when my son was 6years old , However my son was quite attached to his dad and he wanted to be with him more than me. My son often never would do as he was told at the encouragement of his dad I had a breakdown and my son started to get into trouble with the school for his behaviour resulting in being expelled from school at the age of 11 , I asked his dad to help our son stop his behavior he said no, due to my illness I could not cope and my son then went into care at 11 years of age . . I took time to heal from all the beatings and the post natal depression resulting in my son and I becoming more and more distant and his dad taking more to do with him with the encouragement of his social workers even although his dad was a heavy drinker . My son was more like his dad regards addictive habits , I soon realised it would be a battle that I never gave up on to help my son become well a battle I never won and truthfully a battle he never would beat. My son stayed with his dad from care at the week ends . I was distraught at this as people were telling me my son was running wild and getting involved in shoplifting which it terns out his dad taught him from the age of three.Police were a part of his life by 14 years of age . my husband defied my pleas to let me share my son and for us to pull together to stop him from himself . I knew my x husband was enjoying my distress at my son as he never forgave me for my strength to divorce him and get a court order for him to stay away though it proved not to be worth the paper it was written on.My son was thrown out of the his dads house the day he turned 16 years of age . I found my son wandering about with some mates he told me he was on the streets as his dad did not want him now. I took him home with me .I hoped we would manage to get on. He decided he was going down south with a pal who stayed there . He left my home at 16 years and 3 moths of age went to London and lived a life of shoplifting joy riding in and out of jail for these recidivisms he was an alcohol at 20 years of age his addiction for heroin began too. I spent my life trying to encourage his recovery spent thousands of pounds over the years on rents and clothes food bills not really seeing I was paying for his habit by doing that he was in and out of jail for most of his short life . In April 2004 he went into a detox and rehab ordered by a Judge he came out from both on 19th of December 2004, I drove down south to pick him up . He looked so well .Bright eyed and he had went to sun beds to gain some colour his teeth had been sorted he just amazed me , I cried with joy and a mixture of fear excitement and trepidation.He came home to my house hye was so overswhelmed at how well I had done . I let him settle in . He was doinfg well he joined A.A. N.A. got his legal driving licence and I got him a car . I had a surprise for him I had bought him a lower cottage 1 bed room house . I wanted to put him where I felt he would have been if he has been living a clean life.He was overjoyed . However within a 3 months he was back on the drink and met a female through a friend of his at the A.A she was the friends sister who was a heroin addict , they got together and he moved into her home . I eventually sold the house I had bought for his use in the hope I would sign it over to him . , he did not want it. They lived together in their addictions he shop lifted for their habits , he was caught started going to jail . then in November 2008 they spilt up , he went to jail she went to hospital first to have very bad leg ulcers treated and my son got no help there .He came pout of Jail in the January .went to a homeless unit where addicts are put till fit to go for a house . He was given medication as he wanted to stop his addiction because he knew he had went too far in the years they stayed together . they were two very ill people.My son got the house on the 22nd of May 2009 and he overdosed on all the medication they gave him I believe on the 23rd May I just felt he was dead .The authorities would not give me his address due to the data protection act over the 10 days I called to ask them to tell me if my son was all right as he had sent me a text on the 22nd of May asking me to come and feed him and help him as he was put in an empty house but he did not give his address and he text me from a B.T call box. That did not matter to the housing or social work. My son did so much damage to his body and mind over all the years he told me he would kill himself as a mother I was frantic with him. I could not stop my son from doing as he wished . I was helpless and the situation was hopeless. I can say I do not feel guilty as I tried the best I could .I truly deeply loved my son .always will and my heart is broken for all of it .My memories are painful my joy short. I understand from my experiences circumstances can influence a person, and pain can lead to addictions . I myself suffered in this life . I am tee total do not smoke , I have a daughter my eldest who travelled the world is married happy and lives a successful life with her husband . I kn ow she stepped back from her young brother as she needed to . My son even understood that he admired her and loved her. She said of his death it was tragic and so hurtful. and though they could not share their lives as she would not allow his addictions to destroy her ,she said I always loved him.We will never get over his death .I owe it to him though to ,keep going as he was proud of me and his sister

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
DONATE