Trying to hang in there

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      worriedmom
      Participant

My son is a heroin & meth addict, recently arrested and I’ve left him in jail. I know it’s the right choice, but doesn’t mean it’s easy. I’m raising his 2 kids, along with the other gmom as the mom is also an addict & they have lost custody. I also have a 13 year old daughter at home and she’s been out of school for over a year due to Covid. Not much time for a meeting, or anything else frankly. I know I need to care for myself & a big part of that is having someone to talk to, so that’s what I’m trying to do.

jem
      Participant

I’m really sorry to hear about your son and his problems with heroin and meth. Most of us have enough to deal with just trying to deal with life with an addict without having to take their children on, when you still have a teenager yourself to raise. It must be hard knowing he is in prison but I can understand why you might see it as being the least worse option. My son has been using heroin for 4 years. Its been a bit of a rollercoaster ride but the more people that I come across on the forum who have a child with heroin problems the more I am realising that this is a long slog and there are no quick fixes.

It’s brilliant that you and the children’s other grandmom are taking care of them, they are lucky to have you. Has your son had any treatment? My son talks to others on the internet but doesn’t got to meetings or seek any help. He doesn’t work at the moment, and used to have a really good job. It’s all very sad and pointless. This forum is really helpful, everyone is so supportive, and it really does help to feel that there are people that really understand what you are going through.

Take care of yourself xxx

worriedmom
      Participant

Thank you so much for replying. It’s nice just to talk to someone who understands! Sorry to hear about your son, and it’s definitely a long slog. I put my son in rehab 3 years ago, but he left after 30 days & I can’t afford to do it again. I don’t think he’d stay anyway. My son has had numerous jobs, but they never last long. I’m hoping he stays in jail for awhile. I used to worry about him going to jail, now I worry he will die. He disappears for weeks, sometimes months, at a time. At least I know where he is & that he’s alive. I hope your son will decide to get help & that he stays safe in the meantime.

jn3
      Participant

My son is 20 and has been taking heroin for over 18 months. He left home and hasn’t been in contact for nearly 2 months. The waiting and over thinking things just takes over your life.

jem
      Participant

Jn3 I’m really sorry to hear that his, it brings back awful memories of my son going off the radar, not admitting he’s using heroin. Your son is very young and you must be out of your mind with worry. They usually do turn up at some point, generally when they need money. There is no easy way, but somehow you have to find a away to survive in this madness. I used to be able to find my son’s friends to see when they last heard from him but that got harder as his original friends stopped having so much to do with him.

Keep talking here it does help, even if we don’t have the answers.

Just remember, most people do get sick of being on heroin at some point and find a way out, maybe on a methadone or subutex program. I am thinking about you xxx

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
DONATE