Trying to rebuild life after years of addiction

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      cathsp
      Participant

My son is 40 and is trying to stay off drugs- 19 months clean 2019-2020 whilst in hospital) then a blip In May -July. He is quiet, introvert and has no new friends. He spends his time listening to music! He has complex health needs can’t read write or use technology.

He has never been involved with support service, groups and hates pubs and clubs.

He only has me and I’m sure you can appreciate he does not want to hang out or do things with ME.

He has never had a hobby and so on and son…….does this sound familiar to some people who have been on this journey?

We know that a life of drugs seldom equates to happiness. If you get my meaning. Could some enlightened soul throw some light on where to begin. Or is it only divine intervention!

No one can go it alone so can someone suggest how or where to begin this new chapter? Surely there is somewhere or some thing out there that could start this new journey

I am sorry but I am at a completely loss and feel like I’m bagging my head against a brick wall ?!

I also fear that he will go back to drugs for the obvious reasons.

All advice and help and support truly welcome

debc
      Participant

Hi Cathsp,

Your Son has done really well keeping clean.

The only thing I can suggest is to try and get your son some form of technology so he can join Zoom meetings on line, where he can talk to people who are going through the same thing and this would enable him to get a Sponsor and work through the 12 steps of Recovery.

There are lots of people on here with far more experience than I, so hopefully some other people might have some more suggestions.

I believe there is meetings for families of addicts too, you might find these useful.

Hope this helps, take care.

Dx

cathsp
      Participant

Thanks Dx

I attend a zoom meeting for family and friends and have used that Adfam Phoneline when I was in a desperate place.

My son won’t listen to newbies group unfortunately. In relation to finding him hobbies everything is boring. U ask him what he finds of interest and he has not got an answer.

Anyway caught him today lining up a drug deal caught him in the toilet with the DHC in his mouth but he swallowed them before I could eject them.

He tells me I imagined this OMG!!!!

He then offers a urine sample to test that smells of soapy water……

He was doing amazing but he never learns…..

I cannot trust him

debc
        Participant

Hi Cathsp,

Sorry to hear this, I don’t know what DHC is.

How does he contact the people to get the drugs? And do they deliver them to your house?

It’s so sad when they know they can do it, but choose to keep going back, I realise this is the addiction. If he won’t join groups then I really don’t know what else to suggest. Hopefully other people on this site might have some other ideas.

Keep in touch

Dx

cathsp
      Participant

They contact him by phone and even turn up up the door

I thank you so much for your response it means so much to be heard.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
DONATE