What do I do?

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 5 months ago by Confused1234.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Confused1234
      Participant

I really need advice – I found out that my husband of 5yrs (we have been in a relationship for 7yrs) has been using drugs for 7yrs through my own investigation, including an addiction for about 1yr. This has resulted in conflict across both our families including parents, siblings and cousins. He is willing to go through recovery but given all that has happened I’m scared that separation is the only option but keen to hear other experiences.

Goodtime7
      Participant

I found arming myself with knowledge about addiction was the best thing I could do to help me cope, also I belong to a local support group.

I have stood by one family member who clearly wanted to stop; he got himself into support groups, attends online training on how to manage his addiction and has been clean for over eight months, he did relapse several times, but he’s now doing a mental health course as he has identified that his mental health issues led him to take drugs

Another family member, I paid for a months rehab, sadly he refused the ongoing support and was back on cocaine within a month, it’s a hard battle to stop addiction but it can happen, I used to enable him by giving him a home and money, he knows I love him but he now lives in a hostel, as I can’t cope with his  lies and the chaotic lifestyle he lives.

Separation is not the only option there is lots of help out there, we went to our GP who was really helpful

Good Luck

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
DONATE