What next

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      nobodynows
      Participant

Hi All.

Over the last few days,I’ve found out my son has a serious cocaine addiction and has had for eight years.

I sort of suspected he was doing cocaine but only on a weekend sort of thing.

He’s told his mom he feels his life is pointless and doesn’t want to be here and has attempted suicide but fortunately was unsuccessful.

He refuses getting help of any kind.

He doesn’t live with us but comes round fairly often and is ok but since I’ve found out about his serious addiction I can see differences in him.

I’ve read a lot of the posts here and feel the prognosis isn’t good but I can’t give up on him.

I don’t feel he’s a lost cause and would welcome some advice.

Take care xx

mammyessex
      Participant

Hi I’m currently in this position with my husband , but he won’t admit his problems yet , it’s good that your son has confessed to his usage and his feelings he’s obviously wanting help but is probably scared too , as it is affecting his mental health too , can you ring your dr and see what the options are if he’s not ready for they step yet least your will be informed of the ways you can help , o really hope he manages to turn his life around it’s such a nasty drug it sneaks up on us and shatters out lives sending love x

nobodynows
      Participant

Thanks Mammyessex.

Problem is he refuses any intervention from anyone but still talking to us.

Thank you for taking time to reply and I hope your situation improves.

Love and best wishes xx

mammyessex
      Participant

Got to hope and believe it’s going to get better x take care xxx

donthaveaclue
      Participant

If he is actively suicidal you can call the crisis team – dial 111 and it’s option 2 (it will be something about someone in mental health crisis who is over 18). Alternatively you can ask the police to do a welfare check on him as he doesn’t live with you and say you are worried about his state of mind/can’t get hold of him etc.

Unfortunately, when someone has addiction and mental health issues going on, the mental health services can refuse to deal with that side of things until the person has deal with their drug addiction via the drug and alcohol services.

My addict (partner – soon to be ex) has developed terrible mental health issues since becoming addicted to cocaine and now freebase cocaine (like crack). He has tried to kill himself more than once and one of these times was nearly successful. He had constant agitation, volatile and unstable moods, aggression, severe paranoia etc.

Because the suicide attempt that was nearly successful put him in hospital for 24 hours, he got eventually put on prescription drugs for his mental health… but this is because he had never admitted to health professionals about the drugs or his addiction. He really needs help with his addiction but he will never get it until he has totally hit rock bottom and is prepared to admit what he does and the extent of it.

nobodynows
      Participant

Thank you for that Donthaveaclue

k-mdone
      Participant

And to think, there are still people who say cocaine and crack are not physically addictive. ????

jamesb
      Participant

Hi mate, I hope you’re okay.

I’m so sorry to hear about your son and it pulls on my heart strings because I know that my parents where just as worried as you are now when i told them about my addiction too.

I’m a 30 year old recovering cocaine addict so hopefully I may be able to shed some light on some things for you.

If you don’t mind though if it isn’t too personal to get an understanding there’s things that would be huge factors so can I ask…

Roughly how old is your son? Is he working or at college etc

Does he have a circle of friends who you think all do it too? Most of the time you’ll find for example a group of lads all start having a go at the pub at the weekend but then 1 or 2 of that group end up developing addiction.

If he is working, is he holding down a job okay or is that suffering due to the gear? Or if at school is he doing okay?

Do you know of any financial problems he may have? Almost everyone me included end up with huge money problems no matter how well you’re paid because of it.

Any relationship or anything? If so do you think she knows ?

All of those things are massively Important to try understand the bigger picture. You said he is having dark thoughts and I can only imagine that’s because the impact the addiction is having on the rest of his life.

I’ve been there and although it took me to get to a point lower than o ever thought possible, with time things are looking up.

Il share with you anything I can that may help you and your boy.

Any questions you want to ask me also feel free. I’ll be straight up and honest.

Take care and stay strong mate

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
DONATE