worried about my daughter and grandson

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      jooles
      Participant

Hello everyone, I’m new here and really need advice if possible. My eldest daughter started drinking at 11 and while she can go for long periods without alcohol, as soon as she touches it, she has no control amd then gets herself into – at best, unhealthy situations, and at worst, dangerous situations. She is now 30 and the single parent of my 3 year old grandson. She has recently come out of a 6 week period of not drinking at all and is now worse than ever. She works freelance and her is losing clients, her son seems to exist on junk food and has no boundaries and she is obsessed with a man who basically uses her as a booty call. I don’t know how to help her. She is on anti depressants and has expressed suicidal thoughts – she has attempted suicide in the past. I have tried being empathetic and boosting her self esteem and have offered to go to AA meetings with her as she says they help. But she always cancels at the last minute. She wants to drink. I don’t know what to do. I’m right back to when she was a teenager. I dread the phone ringing – and not ringing. I get anxious when I hear a knock on the door. I have 3 other children and the youngest is 14 and still living at home, but all my emotional energy is going on my eldest – still. I don’t know what to do….

hope85
      Participant

Hi

The only thing you can do is be there for her without over seeing your other younger children’s needs.

It is her life and we are all human and make mistakes big and small it makes us stronger in the end and the only way to learn!! Granted the hard way yes! Only your daughter can change but on her terms and usually they don’t changed until they hit rock bottom and she herself realising all she lost/losing.

icarus-trust
      Participant

Hi Jooles,

So sorry to hear how worried you are about your daughter and her drinking. If you would like to contact us at Icarus Trust maybe we could help you to know what to do next. We are a charity that provides support for people like you, who are dealing with addiction in their family. If you get in touch, one of our trained and experienced Family Friends would get in touch with you. maybe talking with one of them would help.

You can contact Icarus Trust on help@icarustrust.org or visit our website http://www.icarustrust.org

Good luck to you.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
DONATE