Younger sister addicted to meth

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      rowzy380
      Participant

My younger sister has been taking meth for over 8 months now. She uses it to cope in school and other areas of her life. She’s had a rough past, always struggling to be accepted and I feel like meth makes her feel capable of doing things she would otherwise shy away from when sober. She’s experimented with various drugs since she was 12/13.

I want to help her but I don’t know how. She keeps saying she’ll stop taking it, but naturally she always goes back to it. We live in different countries and so there’s not much I can do to help. We call almost everyday, I hate myself for it but I mainly pick up just to check that she’s somewhat okay.

The problem is also that I can’t tell my parents. I am overwhelmed with trying to encourage her to seek professional help. Within our family, I am the only person she has trusted about her meth consumption- there’s probably a lot I also don’t know too, but I know more than anyone else. And I am conflicted about telling someone about her addiction to get her help, or keeping her secret so that I don’t betray her trust and can stay in contact with her. I’m worried if I tell our parents, for example, that she’ll break off contact with me and then nobody will know what’s going on with her.

I would really appreciate any advice on how to cope with the situation? It’s definitely taken a toll on my mental health but I don’t know whether it’s better for me to get more involved and help her as much as I can or if I should try to distance myself and let her deal with it? And would telling my parents be any use? I feel like they deserve to know what’s going on with her…

wonderingwhy
      Participant

She needs professional help to get her on the right track to being clean, but only she can do that. My mum is a drug addict and she begged me not to tell no one when I found out, I wish I had told someone sooner because I beat myself up everyday wishing I had told my grandparents sooner, before her addiction spiralled out of control.

rowzy380
      Participant

Thanks for sharing your own experience and particularly that you wished you could’ve told someone sooner, that’s really helped me reorder my thoughts a bit. I wish you and your family all the best and that your mum finds a way out of her addiction 🙂

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
DONATE