How to support my Dad

3 replies

How to support my Dad

Hello, sorry I have a feeling this might be a long one but I’m in desperate need of some advice.

I love my Dad dearly and he has been an on-off heroin user for my whole life. Recently it got really bad, he was living with other addicts and spent around 60k on lots of different drugs. On Boxing Day he called for me to pick him up (which he never does) and I did and took him to my grandparents. He was so frail and clearly completely gone behind the eyes. My grandparents are obviously elderly and simply don’t understand addiction. He wants to get clean after having a bit of a health scare after contracting Hep C and seeing his kids while being so poorly (me and my brother are 27 and 26) I suggested he move in with me and access the resources near me and he’s been living here for 3 weeks completely clean. I live near Newcastle and he lives in a small town full of other addicts that he knows.

He relapsed on Thursday while I was at work by going back home and it was awful seeing him high as I haven’t before. He was so apologetic the next day but I haven’t coped well since. He hasn’t been anywhere so logically I don’t think he could be high but tonight he said he was going to have a nap and I sat downstairs sobbing. I don’t know how to deal with the anxiety. My palms are sweating, my heart is thumping in my ears and I’m constantly on edge and checking his van is still outside from out of my window in the night. I don’t want to tell him this because I don’t want him to feel like a burden because up until his relapse it was going so well. I suppose I’m just asking:

1. How do I deal with this anxiety?

2. What do I do if I suspect he is using? (ie if he seems high, do I have to do something about it?)

He literally doesn’t have anyone else or any place to go. He doesn’t have a place of his own and no partner/other family available. I’m not wanting to have him move out, I want to support him as best as I can but I feel like an idiot because I don’t know anything f about drugs or addiction and the anxiety and sheer panic I feel right now is just awful. Does it get better and do I get used to this?

Any advice at all would really help. I have signed up for a group for family of addicts that starts on Tuesday. Thanks so much in advance.

• elbandida
    Participant

I don’t want to let this go past without sending you some positive vibes, I hope your safe, you will never change someone who has already broken your rules in your home

• recoveringslowly
    Participant

hi there

I am a recovering addict. I have two grown daughters. I managed to, just about, combine addiction and parenting, although needless to say I should have done better. they both deserve better than me.

I was lucky. I was what is known as a (barely) functioning addict. I did, however, spend a very long time at rock bottom. eating out of bins rock bottom. stealing rock bottom.

your dad is very lucky to have you. I have to say, sadly, that I think I echo the earlier advice. it wasn’t until my father cut me off – literally stopped opening the door or answering the phone, that I made a decision. my mother had already done the same.

they both told me they loved me. and I knew it was true, although I do remember feeling very hard done by. I walked away, felt sorry for myself for a bit, then sought real help.

if I were to advise I would say – your dad needs you to be strong. talk to him. explain why you are doing this. give him the details of some places that might help, but leave it to him to reach out to them. it will have value to him if he does it for himself.

Please understand I am not trained, or intelligent enough to have understood my own problems. this is only one perspective. what I can say with surety is you are unlikely to help by enabling him.

I registered only to reply to you. I hope it helps. I will pray for your dad.

• figuringitout
    Participant

Hello , my partner is a long term heroin addict ( pretty high functioning – works etc ) is in recovery – but relapsed past 10 days.and I have 3 children. Two of them are in their 20’s.

The anxiety is really tough to deal with, I have experienced the anxiety you feel and I think it’s because when we live with this,  it is dealing with a threatening , scary situation . It probably also taps into what you have experienced all your life with your dad . Someone who when ( relatively) sober can be fantastic. Kind, loving funny considerate etc, but when the drug taking tips over they are erratic, moody, abusive, detached.  To be honest – when my partner relapses and he lies about it , I ask him to leave the house. He will usually accuse me of being crazy , awful etc. I stand my ground, he goes – often gets back on track and comes back better. I know your situation is different . But I realised I couldn’t cope with the levels of anxiety that are triggered when my partner uses, they are also connected to past experiences and behaviors . It will have a terrible , detrimental effect on you . You need to figure out what you can cope with and then when it goes over that mark be clear on what you need to look after yourself . Don’t engage in arguments – just be clear “ you need to leave because you’ve been using and I don’t want to be around you “ I often say – “ you are free to do whatever you want – but I don’t want to be around it “. If you suspect he is high,  you don’t have to do anything about it- you have no control over it. It is very likely he will use and lie to you. You cannot save him. The best thing you can do is look after yourself, figure out what you can cope with, don’t blame yourself if that means when it makes you too anxious to cope with, you ask him to leave. It’s really important to have a network of very good friends or/ and family who you can speak openly to about your dad and who will listen without judgment

my heart goes out to you because as a mother I would not want my children to do what you are doing . I respect your choice and realise that you must love him very much

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.