Losing someone you love as a result of their drinking or drug use can be emotionally devastating, challenging and isolating. If you have lost someone in this way it is important to know that you are not alone. Please find below a range of information and support that is available:
- Adfam and Peter Cartwright have produced a series of video support sessions available on our website. This includes a video specifically on substance-related bereavement that you can watch here.
- Adfam’s Journeys Resource provides advice to anyone suffering from a drug or alcohol related bereavement.
- Adfam and Alcohol Change UK co-produced this information toolkit on alcohol-related bereavement: https://alcoholchange.org.uk/alcohol-facts/fact-sheets/alcohol-related-bereavement
- DrugFAM provide support to families that have been bereaved as a result of a loved one’s drug/alcohol misuse, phone 0300 888 3853 or visit https://www.drugfam.co.uk/bereavement for more information.
- Scottish Families Affected by Alcohol and Drugs provide support to families in Scotland who have lost someone who used alcohol or drugs. Visit https://www.sfad.org.uk/support-services/bereavement for more information or call their telephone helpline on 08080 10 10 11.
- The Compassionate Friends has a resource for parents bereaved through drug and alcohol use. This resource discusses the days immediately after a loss, the effect on the wider family and talking to non-adult children about loss.
- The Good Grief Trust have supportive information on their website including a map of bereavement support organisations. You can contact them on firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Suicide & Co provide support to those that have been bereaved by suicide, including a counselling service. Visit their website for more information.
The following telephone helplines are also available
Samaritans: 116 123
For anyone at anytime for any reason
Sudden Bereavement Helpline: 0800 2600 400
10am and 4pm, Monday to Friday – immediate support
National Bereavement Partnership Helpline: 0800 448 0800
7am -10pm for emotional support.
Cruse Bereavement Care: 0808 808 1677
Nationwide bereavement support
Grief Talk: 0808 802 0111
Monday to Friday 9am – 9pm
Bereavement Advice Centre: 0800 634 9494
Practical advice (9 – 5pm)
Bereavement Trust: 0800 435 455
Emotional and practical advice (6 – 10pm)
The Compassionate Friends: 0345 123 2304
Open every day 10 am – 4 pm, 7-10 pm