With support from the BBC’s Children In Need Adfam worked in Peterborough until 2021 to support kinship carers and the children they look after. Kinship carers are family members, most commonly grandparents, but also aunts, uncles, siblings and others, who take on the care of a child because the parents are unable to.
The support programme provided:
- One-to-one practical and emotional support to those caring for a family member’s child.
- Introduction to the Peterborough Kinship Support Group
- Regular information and skills workshops
- Fortnightly activities for children in kinship care
- Annual trips for kinship care families
The Peterborough Kinship Support Group continues to provide support to kinship families, along with Adfam’s remote support service to kinship carers in Cambridgeshire.